Statement of the International Steering Committee of the Nongovernmental Process of the Community of Democracies on Iran
July 12, 2009
We, the International Steering Committee of the Community of Democracies, and nongovernmental organizations from around the world participating in the Fifth Ministerial Meeting of the Community of Democracies in Lisbon, Portugal:
- Condemn the indiscriminate use of violence by regular and irregular state security forces against peaceful protesters in Iran in the aftermath of the disputed June 12 presidential elections that has led to deaths and injuries.
- Call on the Iranian authorities to respect the rights of its citizens to peaceful assembly, freedom of association, and freedom of expression as guaranteed under Iran’s constitution and international human rights law.
- Call on Iranian authorities to respect the rule of law, to refrain from the use of force, and to release detained opposition figures, human rights defenders, journalists, and protestors.
- Call on Iranian authorities to stop interrupting internet and mobile phone services, and to respect the rights of citizens to access information freely.
- Call on Iranian authorities to provide for independent monitoring of the election process.
- Recognize the Iranian people’s century-long, indigenous struggle to achieve democracy, rule of law, and fundamental freedoms.
- Recognize the important role of Iranian women in the civil society movement demanding non-discrimination and respect for human rights.
We declare our support for the Iranian people in their peaceful and nonviolent protests and pay respect to those who have lost their lives in the struggle for democracy.
FROM: Dokhi Fassihian
|Recently by Shorts||Comments||Date|
شما چگونه عشق میورزید؟
|Sep 13, 2012|
|Iconic Iranian: Dr Manouchehr Jamali|
|Sep 05, 2012|
دومین کنفرانس پیشبرد اتحاد برای دموکراسی
|Jun 26, 2012|
|نسرین ستوده: زندانی روز||Dec 04|
|Saeed Malekpour: Prisoner of the day||Lawyer says death sentence suspended||Dec 03|
|Majid Tavakoli: Prisoner of the day||Iterview with mother||Dec 02|
|احسان نراقی: جامعه شناس و نویسنده ۱۳۰۵-۱۳۹۱||Dec 02|
|Nasrin Sotoudeh: Prisoner of the day||46 days on hunger strike||Dec 01|
|Nasrin Sotoudeh: Graffiti||In Barcelona||Nov 30|
|گوهر عشقی: مادر ستار بهشتی||Nov 30|
|Abdollah Momeni: Prisoner of the day||Activist denied leave and family visits for 1.5 years||Nov 30|
|محمد کلالی: یکی از حمله کنندگان به سفارت ایران در برلین||Nov 29|
|Habibollah Golparipour: Prisoner of the day||Kurdish Activist on Death Row||Nov 28|