I find that generally speaking, Iranians are a jovial bunch. Quick to crack a joke, down for a party and always willing to sit down for tea with friends and family.
But as soon as the topics of Iranian culture or history come up, things turn conspiratorial and/or depressing. Of course there’s no shortage of bad history to account for this and as I work on my Internet documentary on Iran, I find myself focusing on the sorrowful Iran more often than I’d originally hoped. It’s hard not to; so much of the culture centers around mourning. Everyday sayings use analogies of martyrdom and death. Rumi’s poetry, that paragon of Persian society, is defined by sorrowful longing for a lost love. In an upcoming episode of my documentary series, an immigrant – my mom – longs for a home that doesn’t seem to exist anywhere. (watch a clip here)
So, given the Iranian tendency towards melancholy, I was very pleased recently to come across this wonderful project from a blogger named “seamorg.”
- Looking for Persian dancers: of any style, but especially male or female Beat Boys, breakdancers, poppers, lockers, or Iranians who can do African or other ethnic dance to perform dances inspired by the green wave.
- This is a tribute to the allah-u-akbar cries from the rooftops of Iranians.
- Email me videos of yourself dancing on your roof-top.
- Why? Because despair thrives by making us despair. The only way to fight the sad-ness enforcement of the I.R.I is by being irrepressibly joyous.
- Please email for more details: email@example.com
So if you’re a dancer, or aren’t afraid of people knowing you’re not, please shoot seamorg an email.
|Recently by People You Think You Know||Comments||Date|
|Happy Norooz ~ to everyone!|
|Mar 20, 2010|
|Iran in a Nutshell|
|Mar 17, 2010|
|Morghe Sahar - music video|
|Feb 25, 2010|
|نسرین ستوده: زندانی روز||Dec 04|
|Saeed Malekpour: Prisoner of the day||Lawyer says death sentence suspended||Dec 03|
|Majid Tavakoli: Prisoner of the day||Iterview with mother||Dec 02|
|احسان نراقی: جامعه شناس و نویسنده ۱۳۰۵-۱۳۹۱||Dec 02|
|Nasrin Sotoudeh: Prisoner of the day||46 days on hunger strike||Dec 01|
|Nasrin Sotoudeh: Graffiti||In Barcelona||Nov 30|
|گوهر عشقی: مادر ستار بهشتی||Nov 30|
|Abdollah Momeni: Prisoner of the day||Activist denied leave and family visits for 1.5 years||Nov 30|
|محمد کلالی: یکی از حمله کنندگان به سفارت ایران در برلین||Nov 29|
|Habibollah Golparipour: Prisoner of the day||Kurdish Activist on Death Row||Nov 28|